I was lucky enough to spend some time with Jarrod Stone Dahl of Wood Spirit Handcraft this last week. He's such a skilled craftsman and taught me so much.
Sigh... If I only had the time... I could write several pages about all the great discussions we had. For now, however, here's just some of the items we covered:
- Wood selection, drying and finishing.
- How to turn wooden bowls on a foot-powered, spring-pole lathe.
- How to forge steel hook tools.
- Techniques for carving spoons safely, with an eye toward good design.
- Conversations about all manner of things craft-related.
The time passed way too quickly. Now I need to put in some time practicing & put those lesson to good use!
I plan to build my spring-pole lathe some time in April, so the bowls will have to wait. It's perfect though, I need all the practice I can get on improving my spoon carving skills. More spoons!
p.s. Jarrod just released a new video through Popular Woodworking Magazine called "The Art of Spoon Carving." Check it out!